BENTON COUNTY, INDIANA
In the History Books
Benton County was founded in 1840 and was named after Thomas Hart Benton. He was a lawyer and a member of the U.S. Senate from Missouri. He was a big proponet of pioneers and settlers in the West.
Benton County covers 406.30 sq. miles and like the first settlers, over 90% of the county is agriculture.
Benton County is steeped with rich history that includes: being known as one of Indiana's top agriculture communities, being known as the home of Dan Patch, Famous World Champion Harness Horse and now being known as the home of Indiana's First Wind Farm.
THOMAS HART BENTON
Benton County, IN is one of 7 states to have counties named after him. Bentonville, Indiana was also named for the senator.
Thomas Hart Benton died in Washington D.C. on April 10, 1858. His descendants have continued to be prominent in Missouri life; his great-grandnephew, also Thomas Hart Benton, was a 20th-century painter.
At a time when harness racing was one of the largest sports in the nation, Dan Patch was a major celebrity. He was undefeated in open competition and was so dominant on the racetrack that other owners eventually refused to enter their horses against him.
Dan Patch broke world speed records at least 14 times in the early 1900s. In 1905, he set a world's record for the fastest mile by a harness horse (1:551⁄4) that stood unmatched for over 30 years. Unofficially, Dan Patch broke this record in 1906 with a clocking of 1:55.
He died on July 11, 1916. His owner Marion Willis Savage died just one day later.
Over the last couple years, the horizon of Benton County has been drastically changed. Visitors and residents now see hundreds of wind turbines among the seas of corn and soybeans fields.
Benton County is home to the first wind farms in Indiana. And among one of the largest single concentrated Wind Farms in the United States…620 so far!
BENTON COUNTY COURTHOUSE
706 E. 5th St, Fowler, IN
DAVID S. HEATH HOUSE
202 W. McConnell, Oxford, IN
111 E. 5th St, Fowler, IN
FRASER & ISHAM LAW OFFICE
306 E. 5th St, Fowler, IN
OXFORD PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH
103 S 5th St, Oxford, IN
History & Preservation